Welcome to Wollongong Conservatorium
Positive Change Through Music
Every year Wollongong Conservatorium of Music (WollCon) provides a scholarship and bursary assistance program to help enthusiastic, passionate and committed students with their music lesson fees. This assistance is possible due to support provided to WollCon by the University of Wollongong and the NSW Department of Education.
We are committed to helping musicians reach their full potential. A scholarship can be awarded to students from any musical genre, who have completed a minimum of 12 months tuition on their instrument/voice and can demonstrate enthusiasm, passion, commitment and desire to fulfil their musical potential.
Generally, or unless otherwise specified, the scholarships cover a maximum of 50% of the cost of a single tuition program at WollCon, up to a maximum value of $600 per year. However, this may vary depending on actual applications received in any given year.
Applications for 2022 Scholarships have now closed. We look forward to offering scholarships for the 2023 school year later in 2022.
2022 Scholarship Information
This year we have scholarships available to support young people to learn some orchestral instruments that fewer young people are learning in recent times:
- French horn
Students who are commencing studies on, or transitioning to these instruments, following a period of study on a related instrument (clarinet, violin, trumpet, etc.) may apply or be nominated. If you are successful in this scholarship you will also need to join one of WollCon’s ensembles, alongside your normal lesson.
Scholarship candidates in any other instrument/vocal area must be nominated by a WollCon Music Tutor.
Noel Lamerton Scholarships
Up to $500 – for students attending WollCon who are residents of the Shellharbour region.
2022 Eligibility & T&Cs
DO NOT REMOVE THIS ELEMENT!!!
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Who can complete an application?
For scholarships in the following instruments:
Any of the following can apply:
- A parent or guardian of a student under the age of 18 years
- A teacher may nominate one of their students for a scholarship
- A student 18 years or older for themselves.
All other instrumental/vocal scholarships must be nominated by a WollCon Music Tutor.
Who is eligible for a scholarship?
- Music students who have a minimum of 1 year’s experience/tuition on their instrument (e.g. current student at WollCon, belong to school band, attend a private studio, etc)
- Music Students aged 5yrs and older but preference or consideration will be given to students currently at school in the scholarship year
- Current and former scholarship recipients who did not meet their scholarship requirements for the full year may apply, but their past record will be considered in the assessment process..
When must the application be submitted?
Applications must be received by Sunday 28 November 2021 at 11:59pm.
2022 Scholarship Application Terms and Conditions
- Scholarship applications must be received by 28 November 2021 at 11:59pm.
- Applicants can apply for more than one scholarship on the same form.
- A scholarship award panel shall be formed comprising the Chief Executive Officer, along with selected Conservatorium instrumental/vocal teachers.
- Students can apply for multiple scholarships but may only be awarded one. If the panel deems that a student is suitable for more than one scholarship, they will be awarded the scholarship with the highest value.
- The Conservatorium reserves the right to refuse entry to the competitively awarded scholarships.
- Scholarships may be split between multiple students if the panel cannot reasonably choose between them.
- Auditions may be used to assist the panel in separating students but will only be used for this purpose (except for scholarships where auditions are specified). Should an audition be necessary, the use of an accompanist is optional.
- All applicants shall receive notification of the panel’s decision by 17 December 2021.
- All scholarships awarded shall be applied as credits to recipient’s accounts on a pro-rata basis per lesson.
- The panel / adjudicator’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered.
- Scholarships may be withdrawn at any time if the recipient’s commitment and / or progress is not deemed satisfactory or if the scholarship winner does not fulfil any of the terms and conditions of the scholarship as advised.
- Scholarship winners will be expected to attend at least four WollCon events in 2022.
- Scholarship winners will be expected to perform at least twice in WollCon Performance Events.
- Scholarships may only be used for the specific purpose outlined above and are not transferable. Scholarships are only awarded for programs at Wollongong Conservatorium of Music.
So you've decided to join the WollCon community? We can't wait to make music with you. Let's make that happen!
Share this page